Cirrhosis of the Liver

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

jpoww
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cirrhosis of the Liver

Post by jpoww » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:55 pm

can high dosage of vitamin c cause cirrhosis of the liver?
can drinking it cause the enamal from your teeth to errode?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Cirrhosis of the Liver

Post by ofonorow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:06 am

jpoww wrote:can high dosage of vitamin c cause cirrhosis of the liver?

Almost all animals (save we humans, a few other primates, guinea pig and fruit bat and a parrot species or two) make their own vitamin C 24/7, in the kidneys and/or liver, in daily amounts when adjusted for body weight range from 3000 mg to 13,000 (or more) mg daily.

Additionally, we have to ingest all our vitamin C and lose at least 1/2 (unless it is liposomal) during digestion. So to equal what animals make themselves, the replacement dosage of vitamin C ranges from 6000 mg to 26,000 mg.

The point is that if vitamin C had anything to do with cirrhosis of the liver (probably cures it) then all animals would exhibit this problem from their high dosage.

I don't know of a single report of vitamin C harming the liver, even in the cases of taking more than 200,000 mg daily (e.g. for mono).

can drinking it cause the enamal from your teeth to errode?

In theory, this could be more of a problem since we have to take all our vitamin C by mouth. However, if it is the acidity that is the issue - we can take vitamin C as the alkaline sodium ascorbate. In my case, I have taken very high amounts of ascorbic acid since at least 1986, without any enamel problems.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”