Questions about my plan of attack?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

blade

Questions about my plan of attack?

Post Number:#1  Post by blade » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:28 am

It's good to be here, I am looking for a way out of a "jam".

2 years ago, I would be falling asleep and I'd swear I'd have some arrhythmia.
I saw a cardiologist, he made me wear a heart moniter for 36 hours, in which I took my 5hour energy and did a few hours worth of cardio.
He said I was fine.
I learned 5 hour energy can cause arrhythmias.

Time passed and I learned more about my heart health., I thought going on a low fat diet and garlic/pomegrante juice/niacin was all I could do til I read about Pauling therapy.
See, I have heart dz in my family, it killed both grandpas.
So I'm working to lower my BMI/bodyfat with a low fat diet AND now I take 10-15grams vit C, 2-5grams lysine/day.
No more 5 hours energy, but I thought i was having some issues again.

I had a stress test, which I passed..in fact, A DIFFERENT cardiologist. Since the last one was wrong, and this one confirmed that yes, 5 hour energy is BAD. After the test he told me I had no blockages! I was elated when I left his office. Only to learn via google that a stress test can only see 75%+ blockages.
so still good news, just not the great news I was given.

so I'm sticking to my regimen of 10-15grams vit C, 2-5grams lysine/day.
I am losing weight, taking Niacin 400mg/day and eating veggies, EFAs, eggwhites. cardio and weight workouts to get my bodyfat under 15%.

My mom, who dealt with breast cancer 6 yrs ago is doing Pauling also, But I am more concerned about my Dad.

He has a fib for the last 5 yrs
low T
high estradiol
not fat, although I don't know his bodyfat, he is about BMI 25, which isnt all useful cept

Because he has A fib,which I think has to do with his low Testosterone. he is on Coumadin., so is a few grams of viT C bad?
I thought Pauling therapy might help his A-fib.
Will Pauling help his HDL? or does he need 400mg+ of Niacin?
He worksout and eats a diet full of some meat, mostly eggs and 3+lbs of broccoili/veggies

here are the labs
total cholesterol 114 (mg/dL)
HDL 26 (mg/dL)
LDL 74 (mg/dL
triglycerides 69 NO (20-150)mg/dL)
vitD 57ng/ml (30-100)
HS-CRP 0.2 mg/L
A1C---7 4-6
fasting glucose 144
total T 293ng/dl (240-950)

free T 15ng/d; (9-30)
E2: 44(18-40)

Testostrone is another issue that MDs get way wrong, mostly because they don't understand under 500 is low, BUT you also must look at estradiol, low Total testosterone is a warning sign to check estradiol(E2) levels, one of the male estrogen. The T/E ratio is a great indicator for how much the testosterone is actually affecting a person.
Estradiol of 30-40, where it should be, would give a poor T/E ratio. A guy wants 30-40 ratio
293/44= 6.7 which is just plain bad, as high estadiol might cause cancer..or Coronary Atherosclerosis?
http://www.lef.org/magazine/2008/11/Dan ... le/Page-01

He is seeing a endocrinologist in march to get some AIs, I hope.

blade

Re: Questions about my plan of attack?

Post Number:#2  Post by blade » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:32 pm

I am unsure if I have heart disease, I can't imagine I don't though because I've am overweight and think I've have chest pain/arrhythmias.
I am taking daily:
aspirin(nightly)
niacin(400mg, nightly)
L-vit C 5grams morning,l 5 grams at night
http://purebulk.com/vitamin-c-ascorbic-acid-powder/

L-lysine 5 grams morning, 5 grams night
http://purebulk.com/l-lysine-hcl-powder/

In accordance to what I've read on this site about K2 helping reverse?/prevent arterial stiffness I am taking K2(soon as it comes)
http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements ... ?q=super+k

DIM-
Coq10-
Vit D 5k d
Carlson EFAs

Every 3 days
8mg aromatase inhibitors exemestane/Aromasin
B-12

I am also losing fat, eating mostly mixed veggies, +(2lbs broccoli) eggwhites, EFAs and grapefruit, rhubarb, mixed fruit, avocado, 5oz mixed spinach/arugula

Currently I'm at 218, I need to be at 170
I have been lower than 170 and I will deter cancer/CAD at 170 or less
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22530540

I hope my Vit C/lysine,/k2 regimen will prevent/reverse any heart disease. While the rest of my diet will get me looking good for the ladies, so I can put my clean arteries to good use

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:57 pm

Welcome and you are smart to be looking around here. Conflicted docs is nothing new, and if you have a specific question or questions we may be able to help.

One thing to check for irregular heart beats is the magnesium to manganese ratio.

You want you and your parents to have a lot of magnesium (mg).

Unfortunately many supplements contain manganese (mn), which the USDA has found can "crowd out" magnesium in the heart leading to irregular heart beats (and even sudden death in swine.) The details (dosages of manganese that are too much) are in this excerpt from my book on these matters.
http://practicingmedicinewithoutalicense.com/protocol/

I like your regimen (except the aspirin - but vitamin C should protect from is known side effects dissolving (stomach) tissue).
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

blade

Post Number:#4  Post by blade » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:12 pm

ofonorow wrote:Welcome and you are smart to be looking around here. Conflicted docs is nothing new, and if you have a specific question or questions we may be able to help.

One thing to check for irregular heart beats is the magnesium to manganese ratio.

You want you and your parents to have a lot of magnesium (mg).

Unfortunately many supplements contain manganese (mn), which the USDA has found can "crowd out" magnesium in the heart leading to irregular heart beats (and even sudden death in swine.) The details (dosages of manganese that are too much) are in this excerpt from my book on these matters.
http://practicingmedicinewithoutalicense.com/protocol/

I like your regimen (except the aspirin - but vitamin C should protect from is known side effects dissolving (stomach) tissue).

thanks
My email says I should get your book by 1/19
Thanks for the insights into WTF is going on with my Heartrate
Maybe genetic?
my dad was diagnosed with A-fib in 2010 and he has T2 diabetes, but he isnt fat, but he has high E2 and low T, T/E of 7! he sees his endo in march.
but he eats the type of diet in my program... I just am better at telling others what to do than doing it myself

I guess I should eat more spinach and a few pumpkin seeds daily to get the magnesium.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... nt&dbid=75

I'll get an updated blood test in march/april when I get down to a sub 200 weight!
I think being fat is my biggest issue right now....

blade

Post Number:#5  Post by blade » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:39 am

I'm easily taking in 15gs of Vit C and 4-6grams lysine
which is odd
when I first started dosing with VC, I was having GI issues that required bathroom breaks every 2 hours or so.

The change? I"m not sure, I was surprised that no one in my family got sick over Christmas, someone USUALLY gets sick after we are all together, rarely is it me

I love eating food, as we all do, because food is a drug
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/3-si ... junk-food/
fun/interesting facts health food VS junk food
http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_601_ ... u-to-know/

Big week coming up:
wont get my " Practicing Medicine Without a License? the Story " till 19th
Should hear back from my boss to see if I passed a background job to start a job
I'm starting my diet this week, Im at 240.1lbs

I want to get to 170 lbs to have a BMI of 25, I'd be happy at 180, I was 185 in June 2013 and my labs were outstanding....I would have started TRT but I was busy at the time with other stuff and couldn't give it the time it needed,
I want a T/E ratio of about 30-40, and my T/E was only 28
low E2(20) so I should have started trt
as Arterial stiffness happens(as well as many other issues) when guys have LOwT
as well as how much fat you are carrying

purposefirst
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by purposefirst » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Blade,
I guess I should eat more spinach and a few pumpkin seeds daily to get the magnesium.

Most of the population is low on magnesium. For anyone with a heart issue magnesium is especially very important. One of the first things I did after my coronary diagnosis was to increase magnesium intake -- with supplements. Just eating more spinach and pumpkin seeds (which I also did) is not likely to be enough. I've been supplementing 400-600 mgs/day using the most absorbable types of magnesium, yet my last blood test showed I'm only in the lower end of the acceptable range!! (At least it's acceptable!) Some people do not absorb magnesium supplements very well. Do NOT use magnesium oxide -- poor absorbability. Dr Levy recommends magnesium glycinate (of which I take 400 mg/day). "Pure Encapsulations" magnesium glycinate seems very good.) Magnesium citrate is 50% absorbable and makes a nice fizzy drink. Magnesium taurate is also good. As Owen said, you want "to have a lot of magnesium."

EGGS:
You mentioned that you eat egg-whites. If you stick with that, you should take extra biotin to deal with it. (Biotin is present in the yolk, so not a concern with whole eggs.) Right after my diagnosis I went to whites only as you did -- based upon what I remembered via mainstream medical mythology. Upon researching, I went back to whole eggs -- one the most nutritious foods there is, especially the yolk. My research explained why to not worry about the cholesterol in eggs. (I eat 2-3 daily.)

blade

Post Number:#7  Post by blade » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:52 pm

purposefirst wrote:Blade,

Most of the population is low on magnesium. For anyone with a heart issue magnesium is especially very important. One of the first things I did after my coronary diagnosis was to increase magnesium intake -- with supplements. Just eating more spinach and pumpkin seeds (which I also did) is not likely to be enough. I've been supplementing 400-600 mgs/day using the most absorbable types of magnesium, yet my last blood test showed I'm only in the lower end of the acceptable range!! (At least it's acceptable!) Some people do not absorb magnesium supplements very well. Do NOT use magnesium oxide -- poor absorbability. Dr Levy recommends magnesium glycinate (of which I take 400 mg/day). "Pure Encapsulations" magnesium glycinate seems very good.) Magnesium citrate is 50% absorbable and makes a nice fizzy drink. Magnesium taurate is also good. As Owen said, you want "to have a lot of magnesium."

I was planning on getting "Now-Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Tablets",
but I'll follow your advice, Pure Encapsulations, yes
you had been taking 3-4 a day and still were barely in range?
1 cap =150mg=38% RDA,. right?

what book of Dr Levy are you readikng?

death by calcium?
purposefirst wrote:EGGS:
You mentioned that you eat egg-whites. If you stick with that, you should take extra biotin to deal with it. (Biotin is present in the yolk, so not a concern with whole eggs.) Right after my diagnosis I went to whites only as you did -- based upon what I remembered via mainstream medical mythology. Upon researching, I went back to whole eggs -- one the most nutritious foods there is, especially the yolk. My research explained why to not worry about the cholesterol in eggs. (I eat 2-3 daily.)

I was stemming away from eggs because of
1. inflammation:
but I think I don't need to worry about that, as the rest of my diet is tight, besides y dad who eat 6-12 whole eggs a week had a recent HS-CRP of.2mg/L,, which is nice
2. Taste
I don't like eggs
3. Convenience
I love how versatile eggwhites are, they come prepackaged in pasturized containers and I can add them to a shake or nuke them and eat them like a HOT cake, which fruit and veggies

I thought whole eggs help raise HDL, so I'll give them a whirl
and get the MG pillls.

blade

Post Number:#8  Post by blade » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:47 am

purposefirst wrote:Blade,
Dr Levy recommends magnesium glycinate (of which I take 400 mg/day). "Pure Encapsulations" magnesium glycinate seems very good.) Magnesium citrate is 50% absorbable and makes a nice fizzy drink. Magnesium taurate is also good. As Owen said, you want "to have a lot of magnesium."
)

consumerlabs.com reports the amount of magnessium in citrate is 13% and 50% in magnessium glycinate and 60% in magnessium oxide BUT
oxide is poorly absorbed

so best bet seems to be glycinate!
but no product was reviewed on consumer labs that had magnesium glycinate . what do you take?

blade

Post Number:#9  Post by blade » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:14 pm

I got my super K from Life Extension today
updated list of drugs
niacin NOW
DIM-estradiol management
AI E3D-estradiol management
Super K (life extenstion)
EFAs(mostly with food to help absorb nutrients from veggies/fruit)(carlsons)
Vitamin Shoppe Minerals Magnesium Citrate(best quality/absorption/purity, care of consumerlabs.com
Pure Encapsulations - Beta Sitosterol
15-25grams vit C(purebulk)
2-5 grams lysine(purebulk)

Vit B12(2500mg) e3d(natures way)
Garden Veggies capsule(nitrate)
eat:
1lb rhubarb(nitrates)
16oz spinach/arugula/Kale(all kinds of minerals/ nitrates
berries(nutrients)
fruit(melons)
100mg eggwhites(protein)
mustard/pepper/strained tomato/1lbs+ broccili(great for prostate)
baby carrots(heart etc)
.5 avocado(beta-sisterol/W-3s, helps absorb nutrients)
Pumpkin seeds(Magnessium)
I need to add more seeds, I dont know which ones to add yet, likely walnuts/almonds.

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#10  Post by tjohnson_nb » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:29 pm

blade wrote:but no product was reviewed on consumer labs that had magnesium glycinate . what do you take?

I take magnesium bisglycinate - 200 mg caps
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

purposefirst
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#11  Post by purposefirst » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:35 pm

tjohnson wrote:

I guess you mean the Source Naturals product. I went to their website for an explanation of what the "bis" has to do with it. They provide no clue about the bis. They just claim that their magnesium bis-glycinate is highly absorbable, but so is magnesium glycinate without the "bis." The only possible advantage I can see is that their product is less expensive than some of the others.

Blade wrote:
but no product was reviewed on consumer labs that had magnesium glycinate . what do you take?

I used to be a member of Consumer Labs but let it expire because the info is often very incomplete. Since I've been taking supplements for 15 years I've learned something about brands from experience.

I take Pure Encapsulations magnesium glycinate, Douglas magnesium taurate, and Natural Vitality "Calm" powder (citrate) which makes a nice drink.

Carolyn Dean MD wrote a book called The Magnesium Miracle. On page 250 she says that the most absorbable forms of magnesium are glycinate, taurate, and orotate. Not nearly as good is citrate, but citrate is much better than magnesium oxide (only 4% of the oxide type is absorbed).

Blade, probably any well known brand of magnesium glycinate will do the job for you. (But avoid the cheapest, and avoid the super market/ pharmacy brands).

blade

Post Number:#12  Post by blade » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:43 pm

purposefirst wrote:tjohnson wrote:

I guess you mean the Source Naturals product. I went to their website for an explanation of what the "bis" has to do with it. They provide no clue about the bis. They just claim that their magnesium bis-glycinate is highly absorbable, but so is magnesium glycinate without the "bis." The only possible advantage I can see is that their product is less expensive than some of the others.

Blade wrote:

I used to be a member of Consumer Labs but let it expire because the info is often very incomplete. Since I've been taking supplements for 15 years I've learned something about brands from experience.

I take Pure Encapsulations magnesium glycinate, Douglas magnesium taurate, and Natural Vitality "Calm" powder (citrate) which makes a nice drink.

Carolyn Dean MD wrote a book called The Magnesium Miracle. On page 250 she says that the most absorbable forms of magnesium are glycinate, taurate, and orotate. Not nearly as good is citrate, but citrate is much better than magnesium oxide (only 4% of the oxide type is absorbed).

Blade, probably any well known brand of magnesium glycinate will do the job for you. (But avoid the cheapest, and avoid the super market/ pharmacy brands).

Thanks
I like consumerlabs, Im amazed at the sheer number of supplements that are full of lead, when looking up magnesium,. one of the powders(with the scoop) had a half a gram of lead per scoop!
I got the vitamin shoppe brand, as they said it was top 3 of low cost./best absorption/highest amount of magnesium

how do I know if I'm low on magnessium? that my supplement/diet isnt enough?>
blood test?
is there an easier way?
here 10 ways, is this accurate?
http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesi ... need-more/
or this
12 Common Magnesium Deficiency Symptoms:

1. Anxiety
2. Weak Bones
3. Low Energy
4. Weakness
5. Inability to Sleep
6. PMS and Hormonal Imbalances
7. Irritability
8. Nervousness
9. Headaches
10. Abnormal Heart Rhythm
11. Muscle Tension, Spasms, Cramps
12. Fatigue

nothing is very exact...I dont get #11. and since adding pumkin seeds, no more wierd chest feelings..so maybe those were arrhythmia were from low MG?

purposefirst
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#13  Post by purposefirst » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:50 pm

blade wrote:I like consumerlabs, Im amazed at the sheer number of supplements that are full of lead, when looking up magnesium,. one of the powders(with the scoop) had a half a gram of lead per scoop!

Wow! What brands were high in lead???

blade wrote:how do I know if I'm low on magnessium?
that my supplement/diet isnt enough?
>blood test?
is there an easier way?

A blood test is easy -- just ask your doc to include magnesium in your next metabolic panel.

The 10 indications of magnesium deficiency in your article are generally accurate I believe.

Personal indications of the benefits of magnesium supplementation:
1) My work used to involve intense physical activity (arborist) which would sometimes result in muscle cramps after a day's work. I found that mixing up a glass of magnesium citrate gave me quick relief.
2) It is believed that magnesium deficiency is a contributing cause to atherosclerosis/plaque (which I have). For the past year I've doing a lot of magnesium supplementation which has probably been instrumental in very marked improvement in my ability to exercise without angina pain - a sign of real improvement in circulation.
3) I feel considerably better in many respects compared to a year ago.
4) My last blood test shows I'm in the proper range for magnesium.

By the way, I read several of the articles in the link you supplied ("Ancient Minerals"). I've read a lot about magnesium elsewhere over the past year, but the Ancient Minerals' articles are EXCEPTIONAL in that the information is concise yet comprehensive, and seems to be very accurate. Thanks!

blade

Post Number:#14  Post by blade » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:52 am

purposefirst wrote:
blade wrote:I like consumerlabs, Im amazed at the sheer number of supplements that are full of lead, when looking up magnesium,. one of the powders(with the scoop) had a half a gram of lead per scoop!

Wow! What brands were high in lead???
Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Super D-K calcium Plus had ~1mcg lead per scoopCA Prop 65 limit for lead is 0.5mcg in a supp that contains >1,000 mg or more of calcium.
Adults can tolerate 25-75mcg lead/day"-
consumerlabs.com
blade wrote:how do I know if I'm low on magnessium?
that my supplement/diet isnt enough?
>blood test?
is there an easier way?

A blood test is easy -- just ask your doc to include magnesium in your next metabolic panel.
oh ask my doc? lol I dont see the point in checkups, which is why I asked for an easier way
http://www.cracked.com/article_18840_5-common-medical-procedures-that-secretly-arent-worth-it.html
http://www.cracked.com/article_18840_5- ... th-it.html
The 10 indications of magnesium deficiency in your article are generally accurate I believe.

Personal indications of the benefits of magnesium supplementation:
1) My work used to involve intense physical activity (arborist) which would sometimes result in muscle cramps after a day's work. I found that mixing up a glass of magnesium citrate gave me quick relief.
2) It is believed that magnesium deficiency is a contributing cause to atherosclerosis/plaque (which I have). For the past year I've doing a lot of magnesium supplementation which has probably been instrumental in very marked improvement in my ability to exercise without angina pain - a sign of real improvement in circulation.
3) I feel considerably better in many respects compared to a year ago.
4) My last blood test shows I'm in the proper range for magnesium.

By the way, I read several of the articles in the link you supplied ("Ancient Minerals"). I've read a lot about magnesium elsewhere over the past year, but the Ancient Minerals' articles are EXCEPTIONAL in that the information is concise yet comprehensive, and seems to be very accurate. Thanks!

no problem, which link are you looking at?

blade

Post Number:#15  Post by blade » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:16 pm

Owen's book came and I'm read through it

I take L-ascorbic Acid about 6-15grams a day
I need to stop chest pains and I think plaque build ups, I think I need more Vit C due to
ofonorow wrote:[color=#000080][
Therefore, if you are like most people and require 10 grams of ordinary vitamin C powder daily for reversal, then you may require 5 to 10 grams of liposomal for the same effect (assuming 50% loss in GI Tract from powder and zero loss from liposomal vitamin C.)

the thing is, if i take over 20grams,(3 doses, about 2 hours apart) I start having to use the restroom a lot, so I think that means I'm at Tolerance?

Both my grandpas died from heart disease, I have my parents taking it for a while now
My mom has always easily bruised and her bruises take a long time to heal
this is how it's been forever
I thought Vit C helps healing blood vessals and I asked her does she still bruise easily?>
SHe checked, she has no bruises, she cannot recall the last time she had no bruises!

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”