blood levels of vitamin c

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

blood levels of vitamin c

Post Number:#1  Post by hvc » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:55 am

Good morning! My doctor, as part of a blood test, checked my vitamin c level. What would be considered a good level to combat atherosclerosis. I realize that the level probably varies depending on how long after I took vitamin c. I believe I had taken a gram about 3 hours prior to the drawing of the blood. (I am currently taking 10 grams a day).

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: blood levels of vitamin c

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:54 am

hvc you might be an ideal candidate for the Riordan VitaChek-C urine strips. If you decide to invest $10, I would be very interested in your waking/fasting urine vitamin C reading. See http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12330

As a little review, the normal range of vitamin C in the blood is 0 to 1.5 mg/dl (trying to get used to the newer units, so that is about 85 umols/l, and if 440 umols/l is the beginning of the concentration that kills cancer, that is 7.75 mg/dl, but I digress..)

When we take more vitamin C, the levels may rise temporarily, but the kidneys regulate the levels back down to a maximum of 1.5 mg/dl - the so-called renal threshold. The half life is 30 minutes, so higher levels don't last long. Knowing this, a fasting blood test might provide useful information, but know that the levels of vitamin C are varying all the time during the day.

I am interested in the urine/stick test because presumably it is gauged to measure from 0 to 1.5 mg/dl, so if you are still high in the morning, cells didn't soak up vitamin C from the blood during the night - meaning your tissues are saturated.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by hvc » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:27 am

Tissues being saturated is a good thing. Correct?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:02 am

Yes. The interesting Riordan finding, after a spider bite, was that his vitamin C blood levels were 0 (zero) for days, even after giving himself a 10 gram intravenous infusion of vitamin C each day. This dovetails with Cathcart's bowel tolerance. When we are under stress, the tissues can soak up and metabolize enormous amounts of vitamin C, pulling all the vitamin available out of the blood. So if you have normal blood levels, the tissues are not needing or using these large amounts of vitamin C.

Again, in your case, your morning stick reading would be interesting. Is your body still using all it can get, or is there some residual in your blood (and thus urine).
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”