Not absorbing vitamin c

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

Jacquie
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: Not absorbing vitamin c

Post Number:#31  Post by Jacquie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:50 pm

My father also had a bowel tolerance near 100 grams (sometimes more) daily for a year, but during the 6 months before that year started, he went from a 6 gram daily tolerance to the 100+ grams. It has now come down to about 15 grams.

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#32  Post by OxC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:16 am

ofonorow wrote:You are correct that Cathcart's bell curve runs from 4 grams daily to over 20 grams daily, so the median is probably between 10 and 12 grams, and as you say, spread throughout the day. So technically, based on your last post, you are somewhere in the middle, but for my standards, your tolerance is still rather low. We have had posters who said they were well with bowel tolerances of 30,000 mg daily, and the old poster David consumed over 100 grams daily.

Cathcart teaches that "bowel tolerance" is "roughly related to severity of disease." Fonorow apparently teaches that larger "bowel tolerance" is desirable. I remain confused as to how Fonorow's teachings are consistent with Cathcart's teachings. Particularly with Fonorow's "standards."
Douglas Q. Kitt, founder of ReCverin LLC, sellers of stabilized dehydroascorbic acid solutions.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#33  Post by ofonorow » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:20 pm

Based on my father's experience dying young of heart disease. As you remembered, he had trouble over 200 mg daily.

Ordinary (stress free) bowel tolerance is a function of our ability to absorb the vitamin C we eat. During most of our evolution, our body was able to produce the ascorbate it needed. Up until "recently" (estimates as long as 30 million years ago) we did not need to eat it. It seems that after the GULO gene became damaged, the ability in many people to intake vitamin C via the gut became more noticeable. So the ordinary ability to intake vitamin C by mouth varies, and is not necessarily an indicator of health.

Cathcart's point was that for any person on the bell curve - stress creates a higher demand, so that the bowel tolerances can become almost unbelievable high. Yes I am fascinated by people who can consume these very high amounts, and yet are apparently in reasonably good health.

I think Dr. Suzanne Humphries has the correct approach, discussing vitamin C in terms of body weight.
See minute 6 of https://youtu.be/y0LLX0sgwAU

The cow makes 18 mg/kg/day.
The cat makes 20-40 mg/kg/day

Gorilla eats 30 mg/kg/day

Guinea pig eats 33 mg/kg/day

Lets say our requirement is close the gorilla, a 70 kg man would require 30 * 70 or 2,100 mg/day

We recommend 3,000 - so a little extra. And this falls under Catchart's finding of 4000 mg daily for most people (except my father)

Back to the original point - I wish the government recommended 2100 mg daily (instead of 70 to 90 mg) but we currently live in a world where the recommendation for most people is more than an order of magnitude under what it should be!
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”