Not absorbing vitamin c

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not absorbing vitamin c

Post Number:#1  Post by hvc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:27 am

My wife was taking 13gm of vitamin c daily. We see a doctor who works with and monitors us. He tested my wifes's vitamin c level and found she was deficient. Any ideas what could be causing her to not absorb the vitamin c? She had been taking 2 scoops of cardio c daily and supplementing with 1000mg capsules. the doctor has sinced told her to switch to 4 scoops of cardio c. She is scheduled for her next blood test next week. She is 54 years old and not overweight.

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Not absorbing vitamin c

Post Number:#2  Post by exitium » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:20 am

I guess the question I would have is how long has she been supplementing and has her deficiency condition improved at all? Also, whats means of testing is used and what guidelines for claiming she is deficient?

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by hvc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:49 am

She has been supplementing for about 9-10 months (the first few months were at a lower dosage). This was tested through a blood test. I will get the blood test results and post the number shortly.

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by hvc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:30 am

vitamin c was 6.7 mg/L on July 22 thats down from 7.5 mg/L on March 21.

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#5  Post by OxC » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:50 pm

There is evidence that some people cannot properly absorb the reduced form of vitamin C. See examples on this very forum http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43661#p43661 and http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=44130#p44130. It is my belief that the solution to their problem is not ingesting more and more of a form they cannot absorb, but instead ingesting a form they can absorb. Namely DHAA.
Douglas Q. Kitt, founder of ReCverin LLC, sellers of stabilized dehydroascorbic acid solutions.

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by hvc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:22 am

Thank you.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by Johnwen » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:42 am

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by hvc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:18 am

Thank you Johnwen. I ordered the strips. I just want to make sure I understand. If she is truly not absorbing the vit-c it would not come out in the urine (I assume it would exit through the bowels). If she is absorbing enough the urine level should be high enough to indicate so. Is that correct?
Also when they refer to plasma levels, is that what was measured in the blood test she took? What does the blood level indicate?

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#9  Post by tjohnson_nb » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Has she ever tried to determine her bowel tolerance?
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#10  Post by OxC » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:34 am

hvc wrote:I ordered the strips. I just want to make sure I understand. If she is truly not absorbing the vit-c it would not come out in the urine (I assume it would exit through the bowels). If she is absorbing enough the urine level should be high enough to indicate so. Is that correct?
Also when they refer to plasma levels, is that what was measured in the blood test she took? What does the blood level indicate?

I highly recommend that you carefully read the first reference cited previously by Johnwen. Please recognize that 25% of people like you will give positive results on these urine strips. Contact me personally if you want to discuss how to use these test strips properly, preferably by phone.
Douglas Q. Kitt, founder of ReCverin LLC, sellers of stabilized dehydroascorbic acid solutions.

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#11  Post by OxC » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:47 am

I meant to say, "Please recognize that 25% of people with blood levels in the range of your wife's will give positive results on these urine strips."

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#12  Post by hvc » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:02 am

OxC. Could you please private message me a phone number that I can reach you at. Thanks.

jennys

Post Number:#13  Post by jennys » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:34 am

Maybe the content of vitamin C she can really absorb is lower than the intake, which is due to her own body system. So try to absorb as much vitamin c as possible. have she tried drinking guava water instead of boiled - cooled water? i think use natural products along with vit C tabs will help. especially when guava contains 4 times of vitamin C of oranges.
i read about it here: https://wikihomenutrition.com/guava-health-benefits/

Jack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#14  Post by Jack » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Anyone knows if supplement in "free form" is in fact better in absorption as claimed?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#15  Post by ofonorow » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:10 pm

hvc wrote:My wife was taking 13gm of vitamin c daily. We see a doctor who works with and monitors us. He tested my wifes's vitamin c level and found she was deficient. Any ideas what could be causing her to not absorb the vitamin c? She had been taking 2 scoops of cardio c daily and supplementing with 1000mg capsules. the doctor has sinced told her to switch to 4 scoops of cardio c. She is scheduled for her next blood test next week. She is 54 years old and not overweight.

First, as far as the well-intended advice to take vitamin C in the partially oxidized form DHAA - I'd like to see even anecdotal results for partially-oxidized vitamin C that are like what we have posted at http://practicingmedicinewithoutalicense.com/#TESTIMONY of using fully reduced vitamin C. These reports are ( usually )of vitamin C as ascorbic acid.

Or any evidence that this woman's vitamin C readings would be any higher? DHAA is rapidly reduced or converted by special DHAA enzyme similar to catalyze.

This report reminds me of Hugh Riordan's story of how he first became interested in vitamin C as a medical student. I forget the exact time in this video (https://youtu.be/pnvtep-O8y8). Riordan was giving himself vitamin C IV and testing his blood vitamin C levels. He was bit by a spider, and after the IV his blood levels were zero! This surprised him, and he had the same experience for several days, taking his blood vitamin C AFTER an intravenous infusion, yet his blood levels were ZERO. His (and my) conclusion was that tissues under stress can accept large amounts of ascorbate in the blood almost immediately after the vitamin C reaches the blood stream.

Something like this may be happening with your wife. Her tissues may be absorbing all the ascorbate that is made available in the blood stream, ergo, she should take more until she experiences Cathcart's Bowel Tolerance phenomenon.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”