Life Extension Super K compared to another Life Extension alternative

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Life Extension Super K compared to another Life Extension alternative

Post Number:#1  Post by ChuckArbogast » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:44 am

From what I read here on the forums, Life Extension's Super K is considered one of the best choices for vitamin K.
From what I read, it is recommended to get 1 to 40 mg of K1 or 150 mcg of K2 daily.

Below is the supplement information for Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex and Life Extension Vitamins D and K with Sea-Iodine.
It appears that both alternatives gives me the recommended amount of K1 & K2 based on the information below. Do you think it is wise for me to use the one that also has the Vitamin D3 & Iodine in it if I have had bypass surgery? I think it would be ok but wanted to ask here first.

Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex
Amount Per Serving
Vitamin C (as Ascorbyl palmitate) -10 mg
Vitamin K activity from: -2700 mcg
Vitamin K1 (as phytonadione) -1500 mcg
Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-4) -1000 mcg
Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-7) -200 mcg

Life Extension Vitamins D and K with Sea-Iodine
Amount Per Serving
Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol) -5000 IU
Vitamin K activity from: -2100 mcg
Vitamin K1 (as phytonadione) -1000 mcg
Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-4) -1000 mcg
Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-7) -100 mcg
Iodine [from Sea-Iodine™ Complex Blend (organic kelp and bladderwrack extracts, potassium iodide)] -1000 mcg

Thanks,
Chuck

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Life Extension Super K compared to another Life Extension alternative

Post Number:#2  Post by exitium » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:37 pm

iodine is a common deficiency but one must be sure to get enough selenium. abundance of either without the other seems to cause problems.

I personally supplement about 50mg iodine/iodide a day and 200mcg of selenium along with a seperate D3 supp. I guess it boils down to cost.

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by ChuckArbogast » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:56 pm

exitium wrote:iodine is a common deficiency but one must be sure to get enough selenium. abundance of either without the other seems to cause problems.

I personally supplement about 50mg iodine/iodide a day and 200mcg of selenium along with a seperate D3 supp. I guess it boils down to cost.

Thanks for the information about iodine and selenium. I will check that out before I change over. My main question was about the difference in Vitamin K amounts between the two items. Hopefully someone will have a reply about that.

Thanks,
Chuck

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:46 am

ChuckArbogast wrote:
My main question was about the difference in Vitamin K amounts between the two items. Hopefully someone will have a reply about that.

Thanks,
Chuck

Looking at the LEF.ORG formulas, I don't see much of a difference as both supplements provide roughly the same amount of the various forms of vitamin K. We recommend Super-K only because of my wife and my personal experience. We take Super-K, and both my wife and I have ZERO calcium on the Fast-CT scans. (We also supplement vitamin D3 and both do the UV/B light in winter.)

It is also important to pay attention to Linus Pauling and supplement vitamin A as retinol - because Vitamins A, D and K provide a triad that should be taken together, especially for bone health. There is some debate about this, and the propaganda against vitamin A in the media gets in the way of intelligent discussion. Vitamin A's role in bone growth is to help remove old bone, so that vitamins D and K and other nutrients can restore the bone with new bone cells.

Vitamin A is also a very inexpensive, yet highly potent anti-cancer (anti cell division) vitamin.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by ChuckArbogast » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:56 pm

ofonorow wrote:
ChuckArbogast wrote:
My main question was about the difference in Vitamin K amounts between the two items. Hopefully someone will have a reply about that.

Thanks,
Chuck

Looking at the LEF.ORG formulas, I don't see much of a difference as both supplements provide roughly the same amount of the various forms of vitamin K. We recommend Super-K only because of my wife and my personal experience. We take Super-K, and both my wife and I have ZERO calcium on the Fast-CT scans. (We also supplement vitamin D3 and both do the UV/B light in winter.)

It is also important to pay attention to Linus Pauling and supplement vitamin A as retinol - because Vitamins A, D and K provide a triad that should be taken together, especially for bone health. There is some debate about this, and the propaganda against vitamin A in the media gets in the way of intelligent discussion. Vitamin A's role in bone growth is to help remove old bone, so that vitamins D and K and other nutrients can restore the bone with new bone cells.

Vitamin A is also a very inexpensive, yet highly potent anti-cancer (anti cell division) vitamin.

Thanks for the confirmation on the K. I figured it was close enough but wanted to confirm.

I do take Solgar Vitamin A tablets at 10000IU a day.

Thanks again,
Chuck

BrightSideOfLife
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by BrightSideOfLife » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:50 am

I have been using LE Super K for quite a long time but I have just started using NutriZing Vit K2 which has 600mcg MK-7 per capsule with one capsule per day. There is no K1 in it and also no MK-4. This works out quite a bit cheaper than the LE Super K being one per day and 90 capsules for around the same price as the LE version. The big price difference and larger quantities of MK-7 per day I hope will pay off.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:28 am

So why is not having vitamin K1 a good thing? We are the Vitamin C Foundation, not the Vitamin K Foundation, so I am no expert, but I like having the mix of all forms of vitamin K, especially after reviewing the first chart in this article (Mortality Risk Reduction By Increased Vitamin K Intake). Note the K1 numbers.

The Surprising Longevity Benefits of Vitamin K
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2014/9/The-Surprising-Longevity-Benefits-of-Vitamin-K/Page-01
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”