Does Pauling Therapy Work for Women?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Does Pauling Therapy Work for Women?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:07 am

Dear Owen,

I have been doing Pauling Protocol for a couple of years and just now came across this passage and wondered if it was valid:

The relation of the mortality ratio for all causes of death to increasing vitamin C intake is strongly inverse for males and weakly inverse for females.

Despite my doing the protocol my Lp(a) is still off the charts. 131 mg/dL

Many thanks,

One explanation may be that women generally live longer than men. Any improvement in a woman's longevity would appear less than the improvement a male can attain. I don't think those statistics (regarding vitamin C intake) can be used to say vitamin C doesn't work in women.

As far as your still elevated Lp(a), all the more reason to keep taking the Pauling/Rath invention of Lp(a) binding inhibitors, eg. vitamin C, lysine and proline.

Tell me more about the Pauling Therapy product and dosage you have been taking? From our experience, it is probably the amino acid proline that eventually lowers Lp(a). And we suspect the Lp(a) values are inaccurate from big labs as the FDA allows them to "compute" rather than actually measure the value.

A more important measure is total cholesterol, which is 180 mg/dl on the optimal amount of vitamin C (Thank you E. Ginter/Linus Pauling). If your total cholesterol is elevated, it is a strong clue that you are not taking enough vitamin C.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Does Pauling Therapy Work for Women?

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Dear Owen,

THANK YOU for your response. I am currently taking 6 grams Lysine 6 grams Vitamin C, just upped it to 9 Grams, and 1.5 grams of Proline. I'm also taking a myriad of other supplements, K2, carnitine, Red Yeast Rice, High Absorbtion coQ10,Omega 3, Berberine, just to name a few. I'm 56, weigh 116, eat plant-based, exercise (hiking). I just got my bloodwork back a few days ago, and lo and behold, save for the off the charts Lp(a) numbers and beta-sitosterol, all values have *vastly* improved (results provided below). This youtube video states that is your Lp-PLA2 is good then high lipoprotein's risk is substantially diminished: https://youtu.be/f-LH8n9Olas

The main Lp(a) SNPS rs3798220 and rs10455872 both homozygous in my case = good. Apparently the heterozygous versions can contribute to aortic stenosis.

Ezetimibe blocks the cholesterol from being absorbed therefore has been recommended in my case as I am a cholesterol absorber rather than a cholesterol producer, as per the exceedingly high beta sitosterol number. I read that it blocks NPC1L1, which is the same pathway Vitamin K uses to get absorbed. I take K2 to hopefully remove calcified plaque. Also have wondered if a Bile supplement would help with sterol absorption, but read it possibly can cause cancer(!?) I have those dreaded earlobe creases, and when I had my first mammogram, there were micro-calcifications at age 40 which happens they say every 1 in 10 cases at that age, so who knows how long they were there. Will get Calcium scan to see how much damage has been done over the many years without even knowing about these markers. Thankfully my ultrasound of carotid/aorta was super clear. Owen, have you heard of Lp(a) being tied in with Hyperabsorption of cholesterol? I have been dealt, I believe a double whammy with high Lp(a) and high Beta Sitosterol absorption. However, if it is valid that low inflammation via LpPLA2 negates the damage of Lp(a), that is rather comforting.

I will resend the email to you regarding activating my membership to the Vitamin C Forum, as I would very much like to join in on the conversation.

Many thanks,

July, 2018 Boston Heart Diagnostics : May 2016 True Health Diagnostics: Labcorp June 2016:

Total Cholesterol: 171 mg/dL Total Cholesterol: 229 Lp(a) ***Measured in nmol/L** 178 but a HUGE fluctuation from previous test
Direct LDL c 97 mg/dL LDL 161
HDL-C 77 mg/dL HDL 69
Triglycerides: 41 mg/dL Triglycerides 79
Lp(a) 131 mg/dL should be >50 Lp(a) **Measured here in nmol/L** 567 Should be >75
Fibrinogen 395 mg/dL Should be >370 Fibrinogen 530
Apo B 88 mg/dL should be >80 Apo B 118
CRP 0.6 mg/L CRP 1.8
LpPLA2 125 nmol/min/mL LpPLA2 209
MPO 324 pmol/L
A1C 5.5
Beta-Sitosterol 234 Super High( don’t know the reference range)
other sterols are in OK zone

You weren't taking proline which probably explains the still elevated Lp(a) despite the overall improvement.

Red Yeast Rice is still a statin, with all the attendant issues, such as it blocks your own production of CoQ10.

The most important heart nutrient, other than the Vitamin C (lysine/proline) combo is vitamin E. We recommend Unique-E from A C Grace.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Meadowcleo

Post Number:#3  Post by Meadowcleo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:12 am

Thank you Owen. I am taking Proline 1.5 grams, is there a therapeutic dose for very high Lp(a)?

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:03 am

Proline is usually recommended up to 2 g/d. However, never forget that in Pauling's patent the main function of lysine is about Lp(a) binding-inhibition. https://patents.google.com/patent/US5278189A/en

In my own case taking 24 g/d of vitamin C, 6 g/d of lysine and 2 g/d of proline, along everything else recommended in his book 'How to live longer and feel better' for 10 years didn't reduce my high Lp(a). But the symptoms of intermittent claudication from a PAD (due to a 80% stenosis at my abdominal aorta bifurcation) improved already after one year, and after a total of 6 so completely, that a 60% walking-disability was revoked again. Also many other blood markers improved during that long time.

Lp(a) only improved shortly while my serum DHEAs was the highest. In fact, some to recommend hormone restoration as worthwhile trial against high Lp(a) numbers.

re: for Women?
I agree with Owen that in trials usually so tiny amounts of vitamin C are used, so that they can't be taken to give any insights about much larger doses never trialed yet.

Meadowcleo

Post Number:#5  Post by Meadowcleo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:42 pm

Thank you. I will increase Proline to 2G/day

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”