Low Sodium Diets Worse Than High Salt Diets

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Low Sodium Diets Worse Than High Salt Diets

Post by ofonorow » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:29 am

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 171020.htm
Cardiovascular Risk: Low Sodium Diets Might Be Worse Than High Salt Diets

Contrary to long-held assumptions, high-salt diets may not increase the risk of death, according to investigators from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University. They reached their conclusion after examining dietary intake among a nationally representative sample of adults in the U.S. The Einstein researchers actually observed a significantly increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease (CVD) ssociated with lower sodium diets. They report their findings in the advance online edition of the Journal of General Internal Medicine.

Might? Looks like Brownstein was right, eh..
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

BIOHazard87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Low Sodium Diets Worse Than High Salt Diets

Post by BIOHazard87 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:26 pm

I'm thinking about ordering his DVD. I want to see what he says in it.

This is interesting though, I would like to see more than 1 study showing benefit though.
Owen wrote:Well, Your doctor learns what he thinks he knows from drug companies.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:57 am

We have some of Brownstein's video(s) posted - http://vitamincfoundaton.org/videos

I haven't tried them in a while, I hope they still work :D
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Dolev
quack
quack

Post by Dolev » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:03 pm

I just completed reading Dr Brownsteins's "Salt Your Way to Health". The book is a worthwhile read, however, I have one major problem, and that is the aluminum content of natural sea salts. One of the reasons I read th book was that I hoped he would deal with this question, but he doesn't. The book lists the aluminum content of Celtic Sea Salt as 0.0095%. Rounding this off, this is 0.0001 times the total intake, or one part in 10,000. If a person consumes 3 grams of salt in a day, he would thus be swallowing 300 micrograms a day, which seems to me an awful lot. Would the body excrete this, or may some if it lodge in my precious brain cells, to whom I am emotionally attached and to whom have a rather motherly instinct to protect? I am willing to forego the short-term benefits of whole salt if the consumption of it increases my chances of Alzheimer's.

I would appreciate hearing opinions on this before I write to Dr. Brownstein with an inquiry. (also, please verify my math).
Dolev

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:33 am

Welcome back, it is fun to read your posts.

I'd be interested in Brownstein's response, but he may not have any knowledge about aluminum. I know many people use aluminum cookware, or have in the past, or drink soda pop from aluminum cans, etc. Something that I stopped doing long ago, but, I have not kept current on the aluminum "threat." Dr. Ely told me that Alzheimers has two chief causes - number one (90%), mercury decomposing from amalgams, and number two (10%), a particular microorganism that I forgot to make a note of when he was telling me. I am personally not afraid of sea salt, or better, I am more afraid of highly refined salt, and I know the salt content of my blood is about that of the ocean, or should be.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

carlp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by carlp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:40 pm

Many salts are packaged with iodine. Which one would be better, a salt that has iodine in it, or one that doesn't.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:17 am

carlp wrote:Many salts are packaged with iodine. Which one would be better, a salt that has iodine in it, or one that doesn't.

Adding iodine has a history to it, which Brownstein covers in his Iodine/Salt books. In a nutshell, from memory, the soil, and thus the diet, in the midwest USA is so low in Iodine (especially when compared to the coasts) that Goiter was common. By adding iodine to salt, the incidence of goiter became nil.

While it is true that ordinary unrefined salt doesn't have added iodine, there are better ways to get the iodine than eating the highly refined (otherwise poisonous) table salt.

So to answer your question, unrefined salt is better, generally healthier than highly refined table salt devoid of the 80 or so minerals it would otherwise contain. The only drawback is the lack of added iodine. Depending on where you live, this is more or less important. (If you eat a lot of sea food, you should be okay). I personally follow Brownstein's advice and take iodine supplements daily.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

TomD

Post by TomD » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:43 am

That study currently appears on the journal page alonside this one:

Eating Less Salt Could Prevent Cardiovascular Disease

The high salt one seems to massage the data to remove high blood pressure from the study. Not sure how they did that, presumably sensibly so one doesn't just end up with the low salters being really a tag for HB and therefore at known higher risk.

The other study recomending low salt seems to be about the benefits or low salt if you have high blood pressure. Or at least that part caught my attention. It is nice to have something to modify that doesn't require taking a drug.

I didn't read deeply but it would be cool to know what levels are high and low. Are they pegged on sustenance, recomended consumption, or actual average consumption.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post by Dolev » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:39 pm

I didn't research aluminum consumption very deeply, but I found estimates of daily aluminum consumption of between 6 mg and 50 mg a day in our diets. The addition of 300 micrograms a day of aluminum from sea salt to the lower level of aluminum of 6 mg, would be an addition of 5%, so while not nice, is not of high significance.

I am of the opinion, Owen, that aluminum is a major cause of Alzheimers. Guy Abraham, Brownstein's mentor, did mention in one of his articles that aluminum is removed by iodine. However, he did not mention this in other articles when he listed iodine's detox effects, and I haven't found other sources. In fact, I haven't found much info at all about aluminum detoxification. If anyone has light to shine on this subject, I am interested.
Dolev

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:01 pm

I am of the opinion, Owen, that aluminum is a major cause of Alzheimers

This used to be my belief too, until I spoke with Dr. Ely... Maybe some day I'll try to do the research...
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

carlp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by carlp » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm now using real sea salt. The taste is quite good! The texture and color is different because it's not the refined white salt. And the cost is not that expensive. I'm on my way to better health now!

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Ralph Lotz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:22 am

Dolev is right.
Iodine helps to remove aluminum; also bromine, chlorine and fluorine.

Some links:

http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Liodine2.htm

http://optimox.com/pics/Iodine/opt_Research_I.shtml
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

Dolev
quack
quack

Post by Dolev » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:12 pm

I believe Dr. Abraham, but I would still like to see original research results, if they exist, or at least a rationale, such as there is for other halogens.
Dolev

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”