Ascorsine9 and grapefruit juice

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

fig0272

Ascorsine9 and grapefruit juice

Post by fig0272 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:33 am

Owen,

I had triple bypass surgery in July 2005 which was performed using two arterial grafts and one veinous graft. Though I had two other forming blockages they were left untreated since they weren't advanced enough for insurance to cover the treatment cost at that time.

I found and have been taking Ascorsine 9, a Pauling Therapy product from Tower Labs, since March 2008. Are there any know problems taking the Pauling therapy regimen with grapefruit juice? I use about 1/2 glass of water to mix the formula but then add about the same volume of liquid in the form of either grapfruit juice or a 50/50 mix of grapefruit juice and orange juice.

Since I have been told in the past by both my g-p and cardiologist to not take medications with grapefruit juice, I just wondered if I should change how I take the formula.

Also, since this formula also contains the Pauling recommendation for Proline, should I be concerned about the Proline content and my one veinous graft as I have seen reference to issues with Proline and grafts using veins.

Thanks in advance any info.

Royce

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Ascorsine9 and grapefruit juice

Post by ofonorow » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:42 am

Most people in your situation are on a statin cholesterol-lowering drug, and grapefruit juice is contraindicated and dangerous for people on these drugs. So first question, are you taking statin cholesterol-lowering drugs?

Details about this have been discussed before and are posted in the fine print on the warnings that come with the drug.

To my knowledge, there is no such danger with respect to the orthomolecular nutrients provided by the Tower Ascorsine-9 drink mix.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Ascorsine9 and grapefruit juice

Post by ofonorow » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:50 am

To you question about the proline, the answer is we really don't know. I would guess that a year (you said last July) is enough time for the veinous graph to harden, and my general recommendation is for new bypass patients to avoid/reduce proline, especially if Lp(a) is less then normal or zero. I think Lp(a) has played an unrecognized role in the success of veinous bypass graft operations.

Futhermore, if you maintain the Pauling-therapy per the recommended dosages (vitamin C and lysine, but also the other ingredients in Ascorsine-9) I predict that you will come to consider yourself lucky that you didn't have the other arteries bypassed.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”