Another short testimonial re: cholesterol

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Another short testimonial re: cholesterol

Post by ofonorow » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:36 am

From the email...

(Tower) arrived today. Thanks for your reply. I really like this product and will continue to use it. Since starting on the Pauling therapy, I have reduced my blood cholesterol by 20%. My doctor no longer bugs me about statins!!!!! I realize that LDL cholesterol is not the only factor in CHD, but also use the therapy because it maintains my cardiovascular health.

Thanks for this product. It is by far the best way to take the supplements I need to maintain my health.

Dave R.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Seymore Spectacles

Re: Another short testimonial re: cholesterol

Post by Seymore Spectacles » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:04 am

Owen,

I'm not entirely clear on this topic, re: vitamin C and cholesterol.

On the one hand, many people now believe that cholesterol isn't a major factor in heart disease. So, when someone says, "I have high cholesterol" ... many people reply, "Don't worry. That's not a bad thing." I think that's pretty much your position too. I could have misunderstood however.

But, when someone lowers their cholesterol, using vitamin C or Pauling's formula, that is often noted as a sign of success?

It seems to me that it can't be both ways. Lower/lowering cholesterol is either a positive or a negative. So, which is it, in your opinion?

J.Lilinoe

Post by J.Lilinoe » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:01 am

Thanks for asking that question. Even I get confused.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:04 am

This is a very good question, thank you for asking.

I've attempted to answer this question in the past using the analogy of sinus mucous. Mucous has evolved to help the body expel unwanted particles from "outside" the body, e.g. from the sinuses and lungs. We then cough or sneeze and the particulate are expelled.

The analogy is not perfect, but modern medicine has come up with "wonder drugs" that prevent the formation of mucous. These "antihistamines" artificially lower mucous production within cells. People don't cough or have stuffy heads, so they temporarily feel better.

But do antihistamines cure the cold, or remove the particulate that the body detected and then created the mucous to fight? No, and the overuse of antihistamines has created a chronic sinusitis in millions. Perhaps because these particulate have become imbedded in the sinus tissue.

I believe Dr. Levy has found considerable research that one of the functions of cholesterol is similar to mucous. It helps detoxify the blood of unwanted toxins. What is interesting, is that after the toxic load is reduced, say after dental amalgams are removed, the cholesterol levels decline within days. So lower cholesterol can be a positive signal. But medicine again has a drug to artificially lower cholesterol, without dealing with the underlying reason that cholesterol became elevated. And to lower it without dealing with the reason it was elevated, simply makes the underlying problem worse because we have hurt one of the body's defense mechanisms.

So I think it is perfectly logical to monitor cholesterol, and generally interpret its decline as a positive signal about the underlying disease process, so long as the person is not taking a drug which artificially lowers cholesterol.

Its the idea of treating the symptoms. This is always good for medicine, in general, but bad for patients.

p.s. I believe that vitamin C is intimately involved with the levels of both mucous and cholesterol in the body. Vitamin C is an antihistamine, and remarkably, it is also an HMG CoA Reductase inhibitor (which gives it the propertly to reduce cholesterol levels. When vitamin C is "used up" fighting toxins or colds, mucous develops and cholesterol levels tend to rise. When these toxins are overcome, more vitamin C enters the cells which product mucous and/or cholesterol, lowering the production of these detoxifiers.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Seymore Spectacles

Post by Seymore Spectacles » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:48 am

Thanks for that explanation, Owen. I think I understand the difference now.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”