LDL cholesterol

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

Billybob

LDL cholesterol

Post by Billybob » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:55 pm

I have read from several sources that cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease as once believed. Does this apply to LDL as well as total cholesterol? My recent labs are as follows:
total cholesterol 307
triglycerides 275
HDL 45
LDL 207
lipoprotein (a) 3

I am taking vitamin c 18 grams, lysine 6 grams and proline 2 grams because of familial heart disease but have only been doing this for a couple of months. I will be the first to admit that I eat too many processed foods and am going to take the low carb approach to at least get the triglycerides down. My doctor wants me to start zocor and I would really rather not. However he did say that the lipoprotein (a) is very good. I would appreciate any aadvice. Thanks.

Billybob

Seymore Spectacles

Re: LDL cholesterol

Post by Seymore Spectacles » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:24 pm

Hello, Billybob.

I think the LDL is still the primary bad guy some conventional doctors target. The total cholesterol, if "high", is usually "high" because of a larger LDL score. Doctors generally don't mind higher HDL readings.

In my opinion, your triglycerides are not at a desirable level. Switching to a lower carbohydrate/less processed diet should help. You may also want to consider supplementing with some good quality fish oil supplements. This often helps to lower triglycerides significantly.

I personally would avoid any of the statin medications. Diet, exercise, proper supplementation and a generally healthy lifestyle usually will improve your numbers and, more importantly, such a way of living should help to bring about better health - not just a better "report card" for your doctor. :)

Good luck with your new program!

PS - Here's a cool site, that is run by a cardiologist, that advocates a lower-carbohydrate approach to heart health:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

Billybob

Post by Billybob » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks Seymore. The funny thing is that I have been taking 8 fish oil pills daily, each containing 1200 mg of pharmaceutical grade fish oil and the triglycerides raised from 166 to 275 in 6 months. I had been taking extra fish oil because it has helped my arthritic knees. I am now wondering if that maybe you can take too much fish oil. I read on one of the posts that Ralph Lotz said that people live longer with higher cholesterol so I certainly am not going to worry about the cholesterol. Thanks for your input.

Billybob

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:57 am

Billybob wrote:I have read from several sources that cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease as once believed. Does this apply to LDL as well as total cholesterol? My recent labs are as follows:
total cholesterol 307
triglycerides 275
HDL 45
LDL 207
lipoprotein (a) 3

I am taking vitamin c 18 grams, lysine 6 grams and proline 2 grams because of familial heart disease but have only been doing this for a couple of months. I will be the first to admit that I eat too many processed foods and am going to take the low carb approach to at least get the triglycerides down. My doctor wants me to start zocor and I would really rather not. However he did say that the lipoprotein (a) is very good. I would appreciate any aadvice. Thanks.

Billybob

If the Lp(a) is accurate (when it is wrong, it is usually high) then you are not at high risk according to Pauling. I assume the measurements is mg/dl - which is a little odd these days.

Since total cholesterol is above the norm, my inference is that your body chemistry is reacting to either toxins (such as dental toxins or smoking) or manifestations of chronic scurvy (aka heart disease) by producing more cholesterol. There are reliable experiments, some by Ginter as related by Pauling in HOW TO LIVE LONGER AND FEEL BETTER, that conclude that when your vitamin C intake is optimal(?) over time, the total cholesterol in most people normalizes to 180 mg/dl.

So whether your Lp(a) is abnormally low, or you are fighting a toxin, or chronic scurvy, the answer is the same. Keep doing what you are doing, or perhaps take even more vitamin C.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Billybob

Post by Billybob » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:40 am

Owen,
Yes, the lp(a) was measured mg/dl. And I also do have a lot of dental fillings from my younger years so that might explain the higher cholesterol. Also poor diet choices have contributed I have no doubt. And I have never smoked. An interesting observation I have made is that the vitamin c perhaps help prevent dental caries. I started taking the vitamin c at 1,000 mg at least 10 years ago and I can't remember when I have had to have a new filling. My dentisit always says "keep doing what you're doing". It has only been a few months that I really increased the dosage after coming across your web site. Thanks.

Billybob

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Ralph Lotz » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:13 am

If you are concerned about high cholesterol levels, Niacin will help increase the HDL while lowering the triglycerides.

I think that the cholesterol theory is a hoax.

Eliminating white flour and high fructose corn sweetener and other simple carbs from the diet is the first step to lowering triglycerides. (and reducing chronic inflammation)

900 mg daily of L-Carnitine in one study lowered triglycerides from 440 mg/dl to 186 mg/dl after eight weeks of treatment.

When chosing a fish oil supplement to lower triglycerides it should provide at least 1080 mg of EPA and 720 mg of DHA daily. (The equivalent of 6 Max-EPA caps)
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

Billybob

Post by Billybob » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:53 pm

Ralph,
Is the MAX-EPA you mentioned a brand? And where do I find it? The fish oil I have been taking is from Rexall and it only lists the total omega-3 fatty acids as 720 mg total per 2 softgels. Thanks.

Billybob

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:16 pm

Billybob wrote:Owen,
Yes, the lp(a) was measured mg/dl. And I also do have a lot of dental fillings from my younger years so that might explain the higher cholesterol. Also poor diet choices have contributed I have no doubt. And I have never smoked. An interesting observation I have made is that the vitamin c perhaps help prevent dental caries. I started taking the vitamin c at 1,000 mg at least 10 years ago and I can't remember when I have had to have a new filling. My dentisit always says "keep doing what you're doing". It has only been a few months that I really increased the dosage after coming across your web site. Thanks.

Billybob

I have heard this claim reported, but usually starting at an intake of 6000 mg C - no carries.

So, you have been taking 1 gm for 10 years - you could bust my postulate, perhaps not, I say those taking 10,000 mg (10 g) don't suffer chronic scurvy (aka heart disease) but you call it "familial" - what do you mean by that?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”