High Lp(a), Heart Doctor Recommending Statins?!?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

High Lp(a), Heart Doctor Recommending Statins?!?

Post by ofonorow » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:25 am

I recently had a lipid profile done and found my Lipoprotein (a) was 64 and one doctor has badly frightened me by telling me I was in the 6% of people who were genetically programed for heart attacks and insisted that I take a statin (which caused me a lot of pain). I am 81 1/2 years old and previously had a heart attack at age 79. Was told at that time I had minimal to no damage. I now am in very good health, except lipid profile.

My family physician suggested that I start on Cardio C and I am on auto ship. But to get enough I find the cost more than I can afford. Do you have any suggestions as to how many grams I need and if there is someway to lower the cost of having more than 1 shipment per month, how long to bring it down. I am now taking 3 scoops a day which means 3 containers a month.

I am really impressed with the information my doctor gave me about Cardio C. With your help I am hoping to live in good health, for a long, long time to come.
Sincerely, Peggy

Sounds like you have a WONDERFUL family physician! (I had to get back on my chair after reading this.)

Statins RAISE (not lower) Lp(a) cholesterol. I can point your heart doctor to Canadian versions of the mainstream medical journals which contain this information.

What are the Lp(a) units? If mg/dl and if that is an accurate measurement, then YES you should be taking Cardio-C or another Lp(a) binding inhibitor (vitamin C/lysine/proline) to reduce the risk of plaque formation. Vitamin C at high enough dose (say 2-3 jars Cardio-C perhaps augmented by ordinary or Lypo-C) will normalize your lipid profile too.

You can purchase 6 Cardio-C at one time at our lowest price - (Pls. freeze (not refrigerate) unopened jars to extend shelf life, but it sounds like you only need to store them for 2 months maximum). If that is still too expensive, you need to try and find the ingredients separately. Maybe life extension has the powders, vitamin C and lysine (and proline) that you can mix yourself? However, I would avoid the pills (unless there is no other choice) because of the fillers.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: High Lp(a), Heart Doctor Recommending Statins?!?

Post by ofonorow » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:30 am

If my lipid profile and liproprotein (a) would reduce sufficiently on Cardio C, would I have to stay on such high intake to maintain it? I might be able to stay on it for approx. 5 to 9 months at 3 jars per month, but not indefinitely. Is there an average time for the improvement needed.
Thanks,Peggy

Good question(s). I wish we knew more. Anecdotally, Lp(a) can be driven to zero in 18 months - with a product that contains proline. Might have even required less time.

Once you get your Lp(a) down and understand your bowel tolerance, see http://orthomed.com/titrate.htm you can make a judgment about the maintenance level of vitamin C and lysine. So no, you should not have to take that
much "forever."

You should keep in mind that most of the people who had subsequent problems thought they were "cured" and backed off too much or stopped completely. And the reason most people stay on high vitamin C (the amount that is right for them) is because they feel so much better at that level.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: High Lp(a), Heart Doctor Recommending Statins?!?

Post by ofonorow » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:35 am

I have developed a problem over the weekend with severe acid burning in stomach. I have had gastritis before and it seems it ha s been stirred up again by taking so much cardio c. Any suggestions to help me with this problem.
Thanks, Peggy

Try smaller dosages, more frequently.

And, try adding a small amount of baking soda to the drink. (Pauling himself did this.) It fizzes as some of the ascorbic acid turns to sodium ascorbate. Dr. Levy and others believe that this form is much easier to take, much easier on the stomach.

Start with a teaspoon.

Counter-intuitively, you require stomach acid to best absorb the ascorbic acid form of vitamin C, and so many people are taking stomach acid blockers. If you are taking something like Nexium or Prilosec, I suggested reading Jonathan Wright's book WHY STOMACH ACID IS GOOD FOR YOU. As low stomach acid may be the problem. When stomach acid levels are natural (high) ascorbic acid is "pushed" right through the stomach wall into the blood stream.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”