Is this article true?

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

J.Lilinoe

Is this article true?

Post Number:#1  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:34 pm

The Dark Side of Linus Pauling's Legacy :?:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... uling.html

:shock:
Last edited by J.Lilinoe on Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmb60
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#2  Post by rmb60 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:41 am

My smoking partner of 5 years, due to my suggestions, has taken Ascorbic Acid daily at approx 10grams twice a day since I met her.

Prior to meeting me she regularly suffered colds & flu caught from other people or environment.

She is still subjected to sniffling, grovling cold infected people but no longer contracts colds/flu.

We were only discussing Vit C this morning and again she pointed out how surprised she has been to not have had a cold or flu since meeting me 5 years ago.

She has made no other changes to her diet and always has and is a keen fresh fruit eater.

more....
My previous partner (primary school teacher) of 13 years also suffered regular colds/flu prior to meeting me but she also started on large amounts of Vitamin C and continues to do so...and yes again.... she also continues to take large amounts of Vitamin C, and yes, remains to this day cold & flu free even though she has regular contact with sick staff & children.

Prior to 17 (1977) I also suffered regular colds & flu till my mother gave me a book --You Cant Live Without Vitamin C by Australian GP Dr Lady Cilento and since then large doses of vitamin C always stopped colds/flu in their tracks and I remianed healthy till my late 20's until suffering CFS as I currently do.

Now Megadoses of Vit C ALWAYS provide periods of symptom relief which without render me bedridden.

Personally observing the positive effects of large daily doses of Vitamin C, I am yet to be detered from Vit C.

Tests, Studies, Conversations, Quotes, Beliefs can all be taken out of context and used/manipulated to achieve a desired result.

I dont sell or recommend any brand of Vit C/Ascorbic Acid and only use it for my own personal & family/friends use.

But I do have an agenda---- I would like to see other people rewarded with the health benefits of Vit C that I have personally witnessed.

Where they get their VitC though is not my business.

DanSco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by DanSco » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:21 am

Is this article true? My opinion, if you like direct and to the point answers, the answer is "NO!!!"

I assume that most members of this forum would be in agreement with the opinions at this site: http://www.quackpotwatch.org/

For more info about Stephen Barrett : http://www.canlyme.com/quackwatch.html
-DanSco

Note: I am not a doctor nor do I pretend to be one on the internet. Do not duplicate what I do without a pat on the head from your doctor and a note from your mommy.

jman

Post Number:#4  Post by jman » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:19 am

Isn't that barret guy the same guy that thinks mercury used in dentristry is good, or the toxins in vaccinations are safe? I wouldn't take him to seriously he is probably just a pharma pawn.

J.Lilinoe

Thanks for your replies and help

Post Number:#5  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:04 pm

I was sharing with some friends by email about Vit C and how quickly my centipede sting cleared after a dosed myself with about 4 grams of Vit C and one of them sent me that article by Dr. Barrett. I just now sent him back the Quack Watch article that one of you provided. Thanks. Now I am trying to get my brother in law interested in Vit C. He had a heart attack in 2003 and the Lipitor seems to have cause some muscle weakness.
Thanks again. Whew, what a relief! :D

Ronald Wong

Is this article true?

Post Number:#6  Post by Ronald Wong » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:53 am

It's always interesting to hear from the "opposition" because they tend to highlight stuff often swept under the carpet by the Pros.
And it's legitimate interest how our health icons fare when it comes to "the crunch", no? It adds that final perspective.
Remember Nathan Pritikin("The Pritikin Promise" of the Fatless Diet) who died of leukemia? Or James Fixx(Marathons: the Cure for Heart Disease), who died of a heart attack while running? And more recently the speculations surrounding the death of Dr Robert Atkins(The Atkins Diet)?
So Pauling went out with prostate cancer. Did I read somewhere that Mrs Pauling had also died of cancer?

jo

the interesting opposition

Post Number:#7  Post by jo » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:05 pm

It is really interesting to hear from the opposition. We know everything from Pauling, we know very much about orthomolecular.
But I don't know anything about the superrich owners of the Big Harma. How do they live? What do they eat? Who are they? Do they use supplements? How much money do they earn? What are their personalities? At what amount of money do they feel safe in respect of having food on their plates the day after tomorrow - what is enough money? What are their strategies to stop freedom - don't they know that slaves are very inefficient in respect of work? Do they think about the future of the earth - I mean the global warming and stuff?
These are very interesting questions for me.

But it's not interesting for me to hear that "2 + 2 = 5".

J.Lilinoe

the other side of the story

Post Number:#8  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:18 pm

Hi Ron,
I agree, I like to know the other side of the story too so as to make a more informed decision.
At the time that Jim Fixx died, I don't think we knew everything we needed to know about the heart.
At that time, we thought that just so long as we excercised everything would be alright. NOW, years later,
they have found that athlete runners died because they didn't have enough salt. Also, we know now (at least some of us do) that even with low cholesterol we could still have a heart attack because of blood vessel inflamation. But all the health experts still agree that exercising is a main ingredient to a healthy life so Mr. Fixx was still correct as far as exercising went. Since upping my dose of Vit C last year , I found that my herpes sores went away. This is after suffering with it for 20 agonizing years and using every drug in the book. Vit C has its place with me forever even if I too come down with cancer some day and I am not about to ditch it :)

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Barrett

Post Number:#9  Post by ofonorow » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:56 pm

First, I think it would be much better to post a link to large articles, (rather than to cut and paste, in this case junk, that someone else writes.)

If you write the post, fine. But for everyone's sake - and the sake of space, please use links, and, even small quotes should be quoted and the author clearly identified.

Furthmore, I believe that Barrett's site says that everything is copyrighted and you are not allowed to cut and paste his articles, so he'll probably sue us again over this.

What is true?

You have to ask yourself, who to believe? Linus Pauling, the world's only 2-time Nobel prize winner, listed amoung the top 20 scientists of all time and recognized genius, or, Stephen Barrett - a self-proclaimed quackbuster whose own medical practice experience was "limited" and found testifying against alt.medical practitionaires a way to make a living.

By the way, the latest book by Hickey/Roberts has an excellent discussion of the Robinson experiments and disagreements with Pauling. We are given both sides, and we see how both were probably right. Low amounts of C can act as a cancer "food" and promote growth, but higher blood levels stop and even kill cancers.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

J.Lilinoe

how can we erase that article?

Post Number:#10  Post by J.Lilinoe » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:19 am

Owen,
Sorry for posting the article. I did not know the rules but I sure don't want to get the forum in trouble either.
Can we delete the article posted? If so then please do so.
It is not worth the space anyway.
JL

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Please do this

Post Number:#11  Post by ofonorow » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:06 pm

I agree that contrary viewpoints need to be expressed, but it is simply copying other people's writing I am objectiving to.

Rather, that delete these posts, try this. You should be able to edit the original post. Replace it with a link to the quackwatch page. Give that a try. If you have trouble, send me the link and I'll edit the page.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Ronald Wong

Is this article true?

Post Number:#12  Post by Ronald Wong » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:28 pm

Hi JL,
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Guys like Pritikin and Fixx clearly thought they had all the cards, and in the context of the knowledge at the time they had no way of knowing any better. We now know that excluding all fats from your diet would be a rash thing to do.....the only dispensable food group is carbohydrates.......so Pritikin's leukemia is not surprising. And I still remember that photo of Fixx in his running gear wolfing down a huge slice of cream cake.......he clearly was convinced that marathons would keep his arteries clear. Exercise is a complex subject and still controversial.......it has been pointed out that vigorous exercise has often precipitated death in apparently healthy individuals.
So it serves to keep our minds open and vigilant. Hence the interest in the cause of death of health icons like cardiologist Robert Atkins.......remember the unholy speculations about the condition of his heart? What if we had found that Pauling had died of heart disease?

Post Number:#13  Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:57 am

Sounds like a single mouse study to me!

Post Number:#14  Post by Guest » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:27 am

Hi again Ron,

Even if Linus Pauling died of heart disease, I would still trust his research.

JL

jo

Pauling in Dallas

Post Number:#15  Post by jo » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:59 am

It wouldn't have discredited Linus Pauling if he had been driving an open car in Dallas and had been shot dead on November 22, 1963.

Return to “Toxicity”