Post surgery Vit C intake

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

chrisperry

Post surgery Vit C intake

Post Number:#1  Post by chrisperry » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:22 pm

I am recovering from strabismuus surgery on left eye on 1-19-07 and have been at 20 grams Vit C, 1200 IU Vit E, and 1 gram Lysine per day. First post-op check up was good and swelling should be gone in another week or so. Might lower the dose or divide it up into three doses instead of two ten gram doses. Stools are loose with a lot of gas. Is it correct to assume that an abundance of Vit C in the GI favors a mathagenous bacteria population, thus the gas? Any suggestions on decreasing the gas?

Another question-Where does Vit C get absorbed in the digestive tract? If small intestine, what part?

Does the Vit C that causes diarrhea travel directly from mouth to rectum or is it deposited there after saturation levels have been achieved elsewhere? I am working with a 18-24 hour transit time between each end of the digestive tract so I am leaning towards the latter.

Any help would be appreciated.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Post surgery Vit C intake

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:28 am

chrisperry wrote:I am recovering from strabismuus surgery on left eye on 1-19-07 and have been at 20 grams Vit C, 1200 IU Vit E, and 1 gram Lysine per day. First post-op check up was good and swelling should be gone in another week or so. Might lower the dose or divide it up into three doses instead of two ten gram doses. Stools are loose with a lot of gas. Is it correct to assume that an abundance of Vit C in the GI favors a mathagenous bacteria population, thus the gas? Any suggestions on decreasing the gas?

Another question-Where does Vit C get absorbed in the digestive tract? If small intestine, what part?

Does the Vit C that causes diarrhea travel directly from mouth to rectum or is it deposited there after saturation levels have been achieved elsewhere? I am working with a 18-24 hour transit time between each end of the digestive tract so I am leaning towards the latter.

Any help would be appreciated.

These are excellent questions. In one sense, the Bowel Tolerance forum is devoted to this issue.

Dr. Sherry Lewin in his 1976 book recomme nds methyl-celluse to reduce the methane. You might read a similar discussion here:
http://vitamincfoundation.org/forum/vie ... in+methane

The second way is to take charcoal and/or methyl-celluse or the other substance recommended by Sherry Lewin (hopefully the post is still available in the Bowel Tolerance forum) that can significanlty reduce the build-up of methane. Yep, http://vitamincfoundation.org/forum/vie ... =lewin+gas

#2. Some amount of Ascorbic Acid (rather than the salts) is absorbed through the stomach lining. This effect is described by Hickey/Roberts in THE RIDICULOUS DIETARY ALLOWANCE (http://www.lulu.com/ascorbate). The rest is absorbed in the small intestine, and yes, the theory is that any that makes it to the rectum causes the diarrhea.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”