Any way to increase bowell tolerance?

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

javyn

Any way to increase bowell tolerance?

Post Number:#1  Post by javyn » Thu May 22, 2008 6:11 am

I take 3 grams of ascorbic acid a day now, 1 gram with each meal. I love the way it makes me feel, yet I think due to the fact that 1) I already eat a pretty fibrous diet, 2) normally have 2 or more bowel movements a day, and 3) supplement with chlorella vulgaris, my bowel is more sensitive to it than it should be. I really don't think 3 grams is too much, but combined with chlorella, and my magnesium supplement, my stools are already watery. Will this taper off if I continue to take the current does of C?

Seymore Spectacles

Re: Any way to increase bowell tolerance?

Post Number:#2  Post by Seymore Spectacles » Thu May 22, 2008 9:24 am

What form of magnesium do you take? Certain forms are more likely to induce loose stools than others.

One way to increase bowel tolerance is to take a fiber supplement apart from your vitamin C. Fiber supplements, like psyllium, can help to add more bulk than your diet will allow.

The key is to take the fiber in between meals - not with your other supplements. For instance, if you eat breakfast (and take supplements) at 8:00 am. You can take the fiber at 10:30 am. Then, have your lunch at 1:00 pm.

The ideal would be to take your fiber with at least a two-hour window between meals (more if you can). And, make sure to drink plenty of water with your fiber.

I've found that encapsulated fiber works better (for this purpose) than the powders. This is the product I most often use:

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=752

I need to take considerably more than the recommended dosage for the desired effect. This isn't a problem, both safety-wise and because I can swallow many pills easily.

javyn

Post Number:#3  Post by javyn » Thu May 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Thanks for the response. I take 1 teaspoon of chlorella vulgaris mixed with pineapple juice or water upon rising on an empty stomach. And another teaspoon an hour or two before dinner already. I am hesitant to add more fiber because the cell walls of the chlorella are already very fibrous, and it draws moisture to the stools just like ascorbic acid and magnesium does. I was already incredibly regular before I started taking the algae, but this pumped my bowel into overdrive heh.

The magnesium I take is just a little oxide that comes in my calcium/d supplement. When it runs out I plan on scrapping that supplement and capping my own magnesium citrate.

I think the chlorella and ascorbic acid both work together to keep my stools REALLY loose. I don't believe it's just the C pushing my bowel tolerance over the limit. I love both of these supplements and really don't want to give either of them up. Hoping my body will eventually adjust to both.

Seymore Spectacles

Post Number:#4  Post by Seymore Spectacles » Thu May 22, 2008 1:13 pm

A few quick notes.

Chlorella isn't very rich in fiber. A teaspoon serving would provide about 1 gram only. Some people do have digestive issues with chlorella but it's unlikely due to the minimal amount of fiber (despite what some doctors, like Dr. Mercola, say).

It's true that magnesium and vitamin C can draw moisture to your bowels. But, fiber actually works in the opposite fashion. It acts as a binding agent for the excess moisture.

Fiber bulks up the stools. Magnesium and C (in larger quantities) make the stools more fluid. The effects are opposite.

Also, not all fiber sources are the same. Fiber sources with a good amount of insoluble fiber work best for bulking purposes.

javyn

Post Number:#5  Post by javyn » Thu May 22, 2008 3:17 pm

Very interesting, I did not know that. I always heard chlorella had lots of fiber. Time to break out the flaxseeds and coffee grinder and add that into my yogurt along with the lecithin I think.

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”