Did you know there are hydrogenated oils in your supplements

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

NaturopathMan

Did you know there are hydrogenated oils in your supplements

Post Number:#1  Post by NaturopathMan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:49 am

Hard to believe huh? You can decide for yourself whether the amounts are worth being concerned over. If you take lots of capsules or tablets, you may be concerned. This is just one more reason, I lean towards whole foods supplements, preferably in powder or liquid forms. Even the majority of natural and whole food companies use this process. I know the Synergy company that makes Pure Radiance Vitamin C doesn't use this method. (I don't work for them) There are others but you really have to look. Ron Scmid ND makes a big point to use these in his formulas at Drrons.com. Another reason, I am cautious of naturally isloated vitamins is that you have to be careful from where and how they are derived. There are vitamins derived from corn and even petroleum. Solvents have to be used and as an chemist knows, there is never 100% purity, maybe 99.9 %. I am no chemist but I do remember from chemistry, there being an L and D form (mirrors of each other) and often only one has the desired acticity. How do we know that the sythetic is the one found in nature with the desired activity? As far as I know, they are considered the same chemical compound but they will act differently. I don't have all the answers on this so input is appreciated.

Stearates found in supplements are hydrogenated fats such as magnesium stearate, stearic acid and ascorbyl palmitate. They are made by hydrogenating cottonseed or palm oil and are used throughout the supplements industry as lubricants; they are added to the raw materials so that machinery will run at maximum speeds.

Stearates coat every particle of the nutrients, so the particles will flow rapidly. This ensures that production schedules will meet profit targets. These substances decrease the absorption of nutrients; in a published study, the percent dissolution for capsules after 20 minutes in solution went from 90% without stearates to 25% with stearates. Individuals with impaired digestion may have particular difficulty absorbing nutrients coated with stearates.

According to Udo Erasmus, in his book Fats and Oils, cottonseed oil has the highest content of pesticide residues of all commercial oils. In the hydrogenation process, the oil is subjected to high heat and pressure in the presence of a metal catalyst for several hours. The resultant stearates contain altered molecules, derived from fatty acids, which may be toxic. The metal catalyst may also contaminate the stearates produced.

How Much Hydrogenated Lubricant Oil Are You Getting With Your Supplements?

Up to 5% of the average 500 mg capsule or tablet is magnesium stearate. That’s 25 milligrams. Suppose you take 8 capsules or tablets a day. That’s 250 a month – or 6,250 mg of this hydrogenated oil, nearly one-quarter ounce. That works out to about 3 ounces of hydrogenated oil a year, from just 8 pills a day.

The sole purpose of using these oils is to make the machines run faster. Supplements can be made without them – it just takes more time, care and attention to detail.

DanSco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#2  Post by DanSco » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:01 am

If you think a particular web page has something valuable to say, you should post a link to it. So instead of the big post above, you could have just done this:
http://www.drrons.com/why-no-additives.htm
We don't mind a particularly interesting line or two as a teaser, but don't copy whole web sites into the forum. OK?
Are you Ron Schmid by chance?
-DanSco

Note: I am not a doctor nor do I pretend to be one on the internet. Do not duplicate what I do without a pat on the head from your doctor and a note from your mommy.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

You make a good argument

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:35 am

You make a good argument for taking high quality supplements. (I guess I sort of take it for granted that people know to look at the label, and select the supplement with the least "hard to pronounce" words that are not the chemical name for the vitamins.)

As far as vitamin E, that is one reason I recommend Unique-E from A. C. Grace, you can be assured of no trans fats/hydrogenated oils. See:

http://vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

I'm also willing to bet that you are also safe using supplements from Douglas Labs and other high quality suppliers.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ascorbicjoe
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#4  Post by ascorbicjoe » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:44 pm

I have checked out magnesium stearate before and I never saw anything other than it is a fatty acid naturally found in both animals and plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_stearate

Does someone have a specific link to it being similar to a hydrogenated oil?

Cis4me
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#5  Post by Cis4me » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:56 pm

stearates are basically what soap (the kind you make with lye and your favoriate fat/oil) is made out of. In the case of the Pharma/suppliment industry I'm pretty sure they are made syntheticly (just like 99.999% of the Vitamin C you buy) so assuming there is some decent amount of quality control I can't say I'd really care what the feedstock is (vegatable oils, lard, tallow - you might if you are vegan/vegitarian) Sterates, judging by a quick look at the chemical formula, would need a saturated fat to begin with which could come from saturated animal fat (i.e. lard or tallow), a saturated plant-based fat such as coconut oil (expensive), or by hydrogenating some cheap vegitable oil (soy, corn, cottonseed etc). Regardless of the feedstock, the end result will be the same (given that a quick search didn't turn up any differences between various isomers).

http://www.chromatography-online.org/di ... /page.html

NaturopathMan

Post Number:#6  Post by NaturopathMan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:59 am

DanSco wrote:If you think a particular web page has something valuable to say, you should post a link to it. So instead of the big post above, you could have just done this:
http://www.drrons.com/why-no-additives.htm
We don't mind a particularly interesting line or two as a teaser, but don't copy whole web sites into the forum. OK?
Are you Ron Schmid by chance?

Easy there rude guy. No I am not Ron Schmid, I did work for him and just found he was one of few not using stearates.

uzuile.geller

Re: Did you know there are hydrogenated oils in your supplements

Post Number:#7  Post by uzuile.geller » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Food organizations started utilizing hydrogenated oil to help increment time frame of realistic usability and save costs. Hydrogenation is an interaction where a fluid unsaturated fat is transformed into a strong fat by adding hydrogen. During this made part of the way hydrogenated preparing, a sort of fat called trans fat is made. But if I wanted to stay healthy and fit, I'd still consider exercising and maintain my body posture through physical therapy. Mine is in Physiotherapy Fort McMurray and it is the best Physical Therapy Clinic

Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”