Olive Leaf Extract has 400 Times More Antioxidant Power Than Vitamin C

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:40 am

We used to have a long-time member who would post regularly about olive leaf (as well as cinnamon, for helping the liver overcome the GULO defect and produce vitamin C.). I forget his login, but we miss him.

So what do we know about anti-oxidants? Anti-oxidants help the body stop aging, i.e. to feel better and live longer.

https://realdaily.com/leaf-extract-more-antioxidant-power-than-vitamin-c/

The use of olive leaf as a medicine dates back thousands of years, starting with the Egyptians, who attributed the leaf with divine powers and used it for mummification. Its medicinal properties are also referenced in the Bible. Moroccans have traditionally used a tea or infusion made with olive leaves to treat blood-sugar irregularities and diabetes.

Modern science has investigated and confirmed a wide variety of therapeutic properties within the olive leaf with numerous studies being performed over the last century. We now know that many of the benefits are due to the active constituents oleuropein and elenolic acid.

These compounds, along with others that work cohesively in the whole extract, have strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities, and have been shown to fight many acute and chronic diseases, including high blood pressure, common colds, malaria, HIV/AIDS, diabetes, cancer and high cholesterol.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Olive Leaf Extract has 400 Times More Antioxidant Power Than Vitamin C

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:55 pm

As a German saying goes: "Once the reputation is ruined, life is quite unencumbered"

I guess once one follows a medical medium by blind faith, anything goes:

So that a 500mg capsule of olive leaf extract, I actually take each evening = 200g ascorbic acid taken in one go.

How practical, my bowel-tolerance of ascorbic acid is already at 50g spread out through the day. :D

Too bad it isn't true.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:28 am

Your reasoning eludes me. Since you have been following our forum since almost the beginning, you know that we don't generally credit the antioxidant power of Vitamin C with (most of) its miraculous properties. For example, only the L-ascorbate form cures scurvy (thus heart disease) while the D-, LD- and DL- forms are all equivalent antioxidants

So making an equivalence between vitamin C and olive leaf, on the basis of its "antioxidant" power, makes me question your reasoning power sir.

You say "it" isn't true without defining what it is, or showing the science. Determining antioxidant power is experimental science.

Now, it is true that the advanced (ancient) science agrees entirely with Dr. Levy (over Kit and Dr. Kalcker) that the free radical theory is generally true, i.e., that antioxidants keep the body in good shape and avoid aging, and help fight disease,
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:35 pm

ofonorow wrote:So making an equivalence between vitamin C and olive leaf, on the basis of its "antioxidant" power, makes me question your reasoning power sir.

It is YOU who makes this ridicolous claim of 400 times more antioxidant power in olive extract than vitamin C in the title of this thread Without any, not even the slightest experimental, evidence. Whatsoever.

Nothing to do with my reasoning. I do have many years of experience with the respective powers of both. And would never make such bullshit claims. Truth has to be told. Ceaveat emptor. You are harming newbees with such gross missinformations.

ofonorow wrote:You say "it" isn't true without defining what it is, or showing the science.

My goodness, dementia? Already forgot what you claimed in your own title of this thread?

ofonorow wrote:For example, only the L-ascorbate form cures scurvy (thus heart disease) while the D-, LD- and DL- forms are all equivalent antioxidants

Any relevance to the discussion at hand? In my 14 years of using ascorbc acid I got l-ascorbic acid sold for supplement purposes only, so also effective against scurvy. But again, any relevance?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:00 am

It is YOU who makes this ridiculous claim of 400 times more antioxidant power in olive extract than vitamin C in the title of this thread Without any, not even the slightest experimental, evidence. Whatsoever.

Lets be accurate. I posted an article, I have not made the claim. I admit to being more likely to believe it than not, but your highly emotional reaction is surprising. Either "it" is a fact, or it isn't. Your rant against the idea is no better (persuading) than my posting.

So using google scholar, we find science that supports the notion. Huh, there is "slight experimental evidence.".. Here is one stu
dy

A comparison of antioxidant activities of oleuropein and its dialdehydic derivative from olive oil, oleacein
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0308814611013598

The aim of the study was to establish the antioxidant activity of oleacein for an array of reactive oxygen (superoxide anion, ; hydrogen peroxide, H2O2; hypochlorous acid, HOCl) and nitrogen species (nitric oxide, radical dotNO; peroxynitrite, ONOO−) formation, using in vitro non-cellular systems, as well as cellular screening systems (human neutrophil oxidative burst, monocytes’ nitric oxide production). We used a well-known antioxidant, oleuropein, as a reference compound.

Oleacein proved to be stronger in the reduction of formyl-met-leu-phenylalanine (f-MLP) and phorbol–myristate–acetate (PMA)-induced oxidative bursts in neutrophils (IC50 = 1.8 μM, IC50 = 1.5 μM, respectively) and myeloperoxidase release (IC50 = 8.8 μM) than was oleuropein (IC50 = 2.4 μM, IC50 = 16.0 μM, IC50 = 30.7 μM, respectively). Both compounds were stronger scavengers of
than H2O2. Oleuropein did not scavenge HOCl as opposed to oleacein (IC50 = 1.5 μM). Both compounds, in a concentration range 1–10 μM, significantly decreased nitrogen species formation in cell-free systems and by lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated monocytes.

This study is one of many, and Dr. Levy just emailed me an article about a poly-phenol in olive leaves...

I am no psychologist, but your anger stems from the Medical Medium information that I believe is real and share at this forum. You have an emotional reaction to the way the information has been shared (i.e., the supposed divine source into Anthony's ear). Fine. That doesn't make the information true or false.

A single false claim invalidates the claim of infallibility. So rather than argue that I am nuts, or demented (I may be), it would be better to find fault with the actual information being share with us.

For instance, in the beginning, the stumbling block most people had was the claim that our brains are "mostly" carbohydrate (rather than mostly lipid (fat). It turns out that it is fairly straight forward logic that our brains cannot be made mostly of fat. As a thought experiment if there were fat cells, and the brain could grow like our bellies or buttocks, we'd all be suffering a form of encephalitis; pressure of the brain against the skull. Furthermore, the brain can't utilize fat for energy, only glucose, so it makes sense that the brain would evolve to develop a glycogen-like glucose storage system, similar to the liver's. Not to mention the "sweet" taste of brains in countries that eat this organ.

There must be something incorrect about this information being shared. Instead of getting emotional about how it has been conveyed, find a flaw. A single flaw. I've been studying for seven years now... Found 3 typos.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by pamojja » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:54 pm

I don't discuss the medical medium with you anymore. I did that more than enough in the past. And despite its failure in your own case, you still stick fast to your blind believes. You're free to do so, just don't expect me to engage in this fruitless discussion with you ever again. Medical Medium is plainly a fraud. But no proof of him just making money with stollen ideas selling it as devine would ever convince you. So be it.

But this is the one and only Vitamin C forum: To hear you uncritically promoting such silly ideas, that 0.5g of olive leaf extract - which I actually use myself too - could be taken for its antioxidant power to replace 200 gram Vitamin C is just utterly wrong (your petridish study didn't compare to AA, not to talk of that humbuk of 400 times stronger). So missleading to anyone hearing about Pauling Therapy for the first time.

I'm not even angry. I just feel sometime when you go overboard in promoting such abstruse and potentially harming ideas - one post after the other one - someone at least, or myself, just has to oppose. So that newbees to this forum understand there are more and radically opposing views to yours. You are no longer upholder of the Linus Pauling Therapy, you once been.

And to make this unequivocally clear, I do use strong language. As you anyway nowadays do with anyone opposing your blind beliefs.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:06 am

I do welcome skepticism. Your contrary opinions are most welcome.

However, the idea that it the Medical Medium information is "clearly a fraud" is an opinion without any evidence. Nothing recommended causes any harm (the remedies just clash with your, and many other's belief systems.) I understand that. In my case, I was not educated in nutrition, and started by studying and following Linus Pauling. This helped open my mind by starting with such good (and at the time "Far Out") information. My belief systems are less disturbed by the Medical Medium's information, which I consider to be a treasure trove.

It only takes one "black swan" to invalidate the claim of infallibility. In other words only ONE WRONG thing proves your side.

Now, why you focus on the equivalence between olive leaf and vitamin C eludes me? I'm not saying replace vitamin C with olive leaf, I've never believed that the antioxidant property of vitamin C was its key component.

So before posting and linking to Dr. Levy's article, I think Dr. Levy will be happy with one sentence in Life Changing Foods pg. 281, in the end section on fertility.

Scientists will derive them from a particular variety of polyphenol, concentrate them, and use these concentrates to create new medicines..

From Dr. Levy's article
In a landmark article, it was shown that the daily supplementation with 45 mg of the polyphenol hydroxytyrosol (HT) markedly increased vitamin C blood levels in 14 healthy volunteers

From his paper

Thomas Levy wrote:HT is found in significant amounts in both olive mill waste and virgin olive oil, and it is also a potent antioxidant by itself in addition to the effects it has on vitamin C blood levels. [85] Multiple studies have documented its positive effects along with other olive oil polyphenols on blood pressure, blood lipids, platelet aggregation, blood clotting, and inflammation in general. [86-89] A rabbit study looking at supplementation with HT alone documented an improvement in blood lipids, along with an improved antioxidant status and a reduction in the size of atherosclerotic lesions. [90] In vitro cell studies have also shown that HT can work as an iron chelator, decreasing its toxic impact. [91,92]

In a small unpublished study, a supplement with olive leaf extract containing 50 mg of HT administered daily increased vitamin C blood levels between 50% and 200% in five volunteers after taking it for only a week. Furthermore, in four of the five subjects a clear-cut elevation in those blood levels was seen the day after the first dose. And while the blood levels were not followed over an extensive period of time, significant increases in vitamin C blood levels were still seen 10 days after the stopping of the HT supplement, which had been given daily for a 2-week period.

Regardless of the underlying mechanism, the ability of a properly-dosed HT supplement to elevate blood vitamin C levels in only a day in four of five subjects certainly raises exciting clinical possibilities.

This is Dr. Levy's recap, although I can think of another possible reason why vitamin C levels might be higher in these subjects (e.g. a sparing effect, such as what vitamin E and glutathione provide)

The inability of most human livers to make vitamin C from glucose appears to be a combination of genetic and epigenetic defects. However, it has been discovered that the intake of hydroxytyrosol (HT) in the form of a quality olive leaf extract allows most of the consumers to substantially increase their blood levels of vitamin C. It would appear that

HT effectively overcomes an epigenetic translation defect allowing the formation of GULO which can then complete the synthesis of vitamin C in the liver. And while the underlying genetic details remain to be clarified and completely understood, multiple studies have indicated that many humans do make vitamin C in utero and after birth, clearly indicating that the ability to synthesize vitamin C is a lost ability, rather than one that was never present. This also indicates that epigenetic (acquired) defects likely play the major role in adults not having the ability to make vitamin C.

Limited and small experiments have also indicated that humans supplementing HT not only have the return of the ability to make vitamin C, but also the ability to make much larger amounts of vitamin C when faced with acute toxic and/or infectious oxidative stress in the blood. This ability would be profoundly synergistic with all other beneficial treatments for different medical conditions.

Finally, it appears that the human body should not only be making vitamin C, but it should be releasing it at the same time the adrenal glands release cortisol when faced with a substantial new oxidative insult in the blood. Proper supplementation of low-dose cortisol along with vitamin C supplementation can optimize this natural anti-inflammatory synergy.

http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v18n14.shtml
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by pamojja » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:38 pm

Yes, everything already discussed. And thanks for making clear you too oppose what the title of ths article posted uncritically by you suggests.

As already discussed, olive leave extract might just spare some vitamin C, just as quiting smoking does. But never proven as much as even only a few grams of vitamin C taken orally provides. No scientific proof whatsoever, that it would repair the Gulu-gene. Pure speculation. One could just as well speculate that to quit smoking would repair it too.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by ofonorow » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:55 am

Yes, it seems prudent to look at all other possible explanations before assuming that vitamin C production could be restarted.

Note in the referenced study

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28063380/

The increase in vitamin C levels was much higher leading to the idea that it was endogenously created. Maybe. A determining study would restrict vitamin C, and then measure levels. Such a study could also cause stress, because if it was really endogenous production, then stress should drastically increase vitamin C levels...

And of course, glucose monitors that read vitamin C could be used for a pilot st
udy.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”